Tuesday 23 July 2019

Re: cheat_training_group shoulder injury - solved

Thank you Jennifer for your happy story!  Hence I do yoga every morning for 20 minutes for my shoulder, back, neck and rest of body.  I still have pain but manage it without ibuprofen. Keep up the good work!  SYOTR 
Carlos

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 22, 2019, at 7:59 AM, 'Jonathan Stevens' via LAKS advanced <upper_yough_training_group@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Jen,

Many thanks for sharing your email (below).


Jonathan

jonathanstevens@alum.mit.edu

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 7:38 PM, Jennifer Sass <sass.jen@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear All,

Some of you may recall that a few months ago I asked you all for advice on what to do about a shoulder that had been hurting me for over a year, and was getting worse. You all gave me excellent advice which I followed, and my shoulder is now fully functional and pain-free. 

I made an appointment with Dr. Brent Wiesel, an orthopaedic surgeon that specializes in shoulders, and specifically kayakers shoulders. He said as we age our big and small muscles degenerate. The problem is that my big muscles are still big because of kayaking etc, but my small muscles aren't getting the same workout and they are weakening. He sent me to PT, as you all predicted.

I found the most amazing PT rehab expert. Her name is Jennifer Akman. She said the small muscles that stabilize my scapula are weak, thus letting my shoulder blades (scapula) and shoulder slide forwards. In fact, she said the head of the humerus bone was so far forward it was barely in the socket (glenoid fossa). Yipes! I visited her about a half-dozen times, and she gave me about a half dozen easy exercises to do, which take me about 10 min each day. They do two things: (1) stretch open my pec/chest muscles to loosen up my chest muscles, and (2) strengthen the small scapula stabilizer muscles (suprascapularis, infrascapularis, subscapularis, lower trapezius) to pull back my shoulder blades.

I am now completely pain-free, and done with PT though I still do the exercises each day and work on holding my shoulder blades back and down.

My PT guru, who I would highly recommend is:

Jennifer Akman, PT, DPT, OCS
6410 Rockledge Dr, Suite 600, Bethesda MD

Thanks all, for great advice!!

SYOTR,
Jen




--
Jennifer Sass
Email: sass.jen@gmail.com

Let there be no peace without justice, no worker without rights, no child without future, no elder without care, no individual without dignity. Let us take great care of Mother Earth. (adapted from Pope Francis on the Poor and Indigenous Peoples)

--
laks@calleva.org
calleva.org/liquid-adventures-kayak
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LAKS advanced" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to upper_yough_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/upper_yough_training_group/CACxxD%2BO1yDrDvmOxHuZaW_oQPngOV5T6FbY6TgrdEMHre_VvDg%40mail.gmail.com.

--
laks@calleva.org
calleva.org/liquid-adventures-kayak
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LAKS advanced" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to upper_yough_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/upper_yough_training_group/1827913622.5272034.1563796788907%40mail.yahoo.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment