Friday 15 June 2018

[WardFive] Important June 19th Election Day Message From Jeremiah At Large

In my youth, visiting my mom in the homeless shelter was my first heartbreaking personal experience with the inequities that exist within our city.

Today, as a community advocate who has worked on issues such as childcare, campaign finance reform, environmental justice, and affordable housing, I still see that some of those same inequities not only continue to exist but are growing.

This is why I am running for At-Large DC Council in the June 19 Democratic Primary. I may not be a luxury condo developer like one of my opponents (Goodwin) or a longtime political insider like my other opponent (Bonds), but I believe I am the candidate in this race who has the experience to take on some of the most pressing issues facing DC residents.

 
Some of those issues include:

Childcare - DC has the most unaffordable childcare system in the United States. I will work to ensure all DC parents have access to high quality childcare.

100 percent renewable energy - I will work with community organizations and civic leaders to come up with a 100 percent renewable energy plan that will lower our energy bills and reduce carbon pollution.

Affordable housing - According to the DC Auditor, a lot of the money in the Housing Production Trust Fund isn't actually used to build affordable housing. DC often gives loans to developers to build units and those loans are never paid back. So that's money that could be returned and reinvested into building more units. We need more accountability on how we spend money on housing. I will also work to implement the DC government's plan to end chronic homelessness by 2020 and I will look at ways to close loopholes in our current rent control law.


I would also like to highlight some fundamental disagreements I have with my opponents on other key issues:

  • Both of my opponents are on record being in favor of Amazon coming to DC without a public hearing. Before the public has a chance to even weigh in, one of my opponents (Goodwin) is in favor using almost a billion dollars in public money and tax subsidies to lure Amazon to DC. When we have schools that are failing, seniors that are going hungry, and residents who are struggling to keep a roof over their heads, I think that is not a responsible decision.
  • Both of my opponents have taken a significant amount of money from major developers and LLCs. Developers and LLCs have donated nothing to me. I mention this because when I get into office, I will be fair and independent and not beholden to anyone seeking a development contract. I will make sure we're using our money properly through reform measures.
  • Both of my opponents want to repeal our paid family leave law. I believe that every working woman, man, and family deserves access to paid family leave in DC

I hope to earn your support in the June 19th Democratic Primary. I promise you I will be a transformative candidate who will fight hard to ensure we address inequality head on, while ensuring our government is fair, open, and not susceptible to pay-to-play culture. Please email me directly if you have any questions. 

--

Jeremiah Lowery
At-Large DC Council Candidate
June 19th 2018, Democratic Primary  
(202) 643-4573
Connect With Me On Social media: Facebook (jeremiah4DC).
Instagram (jeremiah_lowerydc)Twitter (@jeremiah4dc).

Endorsed By:
DC For Democracy 
Democracy for America 
Run For Something 
TENAC | DC TENANTS' ADVOCACY COALITION
MoveOn
National Organization For Women DC Chapter 
Vote Pro Choice 
Jews United For Justice Campaign Fund 
SEIU 32BJ
Trans United
Washington DC Teachers' Union
Metro DSA
Sierra Club - DC Chapter
350.org DC Chapter 
Greater Greater Washington 
 

--
--
WardFive@googlegroups.com is open to WardFive residents for community discussion and information sharing.
 
To post to this group, send email to wardfive@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wardfive?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WardFive" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment