Monday 6 January 2020

[WardFive] Statement from CM McDuffie on today's shooting near 24th and Franklin

Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie has released the following statement:

 

"Neighbors, as many of you may have heard, I am sad and angry to report that there was a shooting this afternoon near 24th Street and Franklin Street NE. Dozens of shots resulted in at least one person losing their life, and multiple others wounded. I send my heartfelt condolences to the victims and their families.

 

We cannot and will not tolerate this kind of brazen violation of public safety. Like you, I am distraught. I am well aware of the issues in and around the location of the shooting and have been coordinating directly with MPD, ABRA and other agencies on these issues. I have also met with neighbors in living rooms and community rooms. I held three community meetings just before Christmas to address concerns about escalating violence. My staff and I had already identified the need for additional resources from multiple agencies and are working on implementation.

 

I continue to support the Metropolitan Police Departments and the Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement's efforts in the area, while also working to increase other resources, including additional violence interruption efforts that are getting off the ground in that area now.

 

But let me be clear, I need each concerned neighbor, parent, and business owner to join me in advocating and standing up for our community. These acts of violence are completely unacceptable and must not be normalized. I am, and every member of my staff is, committed to working on these issues until we end this gun violence. The fundamental responsibility of our government is to provide a safe environment for all residents. Today, in Ward 5, that is not happening for your family and that must change.

 

Please join us in this hard work."

 

---

 

Nolan Treadway

Communications Director

Office of Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie

Chairman Pro Tempore

Chair, Committee on Business and Economic Development

1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 506

Washington, DC 20004

Main: 202-724-8028

Desk: 202-724-8918

Cell: 202-445-0361

ntreadway@dccouncil.us

www.KenyanMcDuffieWard5.com

Sign Up to Receive the Ward 5 Report: http://www.kenyanmcduffieward5.com/signup/

Sign Up for the Press List: http://eepurl.com/co1I9P

0 comments:

Post a Comment