Friday 14 June 2013

[WardFive] Re: [ward5] Cmr. Steptoe's Father's Day Message: "Change your Circle/Stop the Lies: Tribute to Black Dads"

Good Morning Brian,
 
I read this and even though I have only met your father once, I am absolutely positive that there was a whole lot that you left out.  Over the few years that I have gotten to know you and interact with your sons, I must tell you that I have always been impressed with you and the type of Man you are -- inclusive of the type of father I see you being. 
 
That being said, I could only say that even though Women are quite capable of raising strong sons, the fact that your father has been part of you entire life and has your admiration at such a high level, I am absolutely sure that the little that you said is but a drop in the bucket of who he is and all that he has done in your life and for all the youth he has interacted with.
 
And I am absolutely sure that he is proud of the type of Man/father you are.  As a friend, I am very proud of your presence as a father to your sons and the other kids in our Community!!  Keep up the great work and like you said -- little is shown about the awesome fathers in the Black Community -- and there are lots of them -- I have many personal experiences from my Brother-in-laws to so many of my friends fathers -- they all helped make me who I am today.
 
Rob

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Brian Bradford <brianbradford42@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Commissioner,
      I'd like to talk about my old man. I don't expect many people to read my sappy comments, but for those that do, and respond with testimonies about their dads over this weekend I will enjoy reading those post and learning about other people's pops.
      When I read the comment section beneath the Washington Post's article about the MBT attack I was angered and disgusted by the more than 100 racists comments about fatherless black teens. I remember going to John Burroughs Elementary the morning after The Cosby Show premiered. My friends and I high-fived each other on the playground and recited the jokes because we finally saw ourselves on network television for the first time (there isn't a single network show about an African American family on television today).
      Both of my dad's parents were deceased by the time he graduated from Cardozo. He sometimes tells me, "Ive been a grown man since I was 16." He was the first in our family to go to college. He went to Tennessee State University on a swimming scholarship. He got a BS in Health & Physical Education (don't say "gym" or "PE" around this guy), earned a Master's degree while waiting for my mom to graduate and then earned a PhD. Dad taught and coached at Anacostia and HD Woodson SHS for 38 years. He is an Omega Man, he is the superintendent of Sunday School at Allen Chapel AME Church, he is hilarious - he is Bill Cosby without the money. My dad started an all-black age group swim team in far northeast in 1972. That team has produced a few hundred college graduates, ministers, dentists, lawyers, career military men and women, school teachers,  police officers - you name it. I have thousands of brothers and sisters because of his advising, mentoring and coaching teenagers. He has walked many of his former students down the aisle at their weddings, penned former students into his fraternity and served as granddad or godfather to more than a couple of babies.
       He has been married to my mom for 43 years. His strength and wisdom is my blueprint for raising my 4 sons alone (I mean, with his and my mom's help). Yesterday, when my oldest son graduated from middle school he listed "stand-up comedian" as his chosen profession. I know why.
        My dad's size 10 shoes are the largest I will spend the rest of my life trying to fill. He is my idol.
        Happy Pappy's Day to you all!
 
Brian
From: Gigi Ransom <gigifor5c12@yahoo.com>
To: "ward5@yahoogroups.com" <ward5@yahoogroups.com>; "Steptoe, Carolyn C.(ANC 5B04)" <5B04@anc.dc.gov>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: [ward5] Cmr. Steptoe's Father's Day Message: "Change your Circle/Stop the Lies: Tribute to Black Dads"
 
Comm. Steptoe,
 
This is beautiful and the truth.  Thank you for sharing!
 
Albrette "Gigi" Ransom

From: "Steptoe, Carolyn C.(ANC 5B04)" <5b04@anc.dc.gov>
To: "Steptoe, Carolyn C.(ANC 5B04)" <5B04@anc.dc.gov>
Cc: "Steptoe, Carolyn C.(ANC 5B04)" <5B04@anc.dc.gov>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 7:02 AM
Subject: [ward5] Cmr. Steptoe's Father's Day Message: "Change your Circle/Stop the Lies: Tribute to Black Dads" [1 Attachment]
 
 
S
Government of the District of Columbia
Advisory Neighborhood Commission 5B
 
Single Member District 5B-04
Carolyn C. Steptoe, Commissioner
 
A MESSAGE FOR YOU...
CHANGE YOUR CIRCLE/STOP THE LIES:
 
TRIBUTE TO BLACK DADS
(Mary McLeod Bethune PCS "Father's Day Brunch" 6/13/2013)
 
I am so tired of the hype
The silly stereotype
That presents our black fathers as anything but tight.
 
So, for all those folks
Including our dear President
 
Who did not have
Do not have
Or, simply fell from Mars and never met one.
 
Let me
Please
Provide you a very concise,
Personal list
Of all the great black fathers I have in my intimate life.
 
Some are my family.
Others are my friends.
These are my close circle
Of intimate male friends.
Committed dads.
Needing no hoopla.
No grandstand parade.
 
Not the exception, instead always the rule.
Doing what comes naturally
Because that's what they saw.
Simply remain at the Dad Stand
And be there for your kids.
 
 Sure, they faced personal trials
Illness, heartache and pain.
But one thing stands assuredly
Their daily lives
Daily
Are their kids.
 
Upclose
Personal
Day-to-day rearing.
They stood up for them
Pained with them
And dealt with fatherhood
The best they could.
In the house
In their house.
With their children.
They saw their kids and their kids saw them.
 
In spite of life
Death
Divorce
Marital separation
Or income loss.
Nothing ever stopped these fathers
From showing up
And participating
Always loving their children
Dutibound
Never more than arm's length or a phone call away.
 
I experienced my male circle advise their children
And portray mature, strong moral character.
I saw these black fathers' hearts sink
As their children grew
And took on new lives.
Not needing their dads as much.
 
You can see their sadness
As they finally admitted that their little ones were grown
But, isn't that the natural part
Of being a responsive parent?
One who's been there
From the beginning?
These regular, Black men
Not anyone's tired,
Trifling stereotype
Destructive stereotypes perpetuated by someone else's resentment
Or Bitterness
Fear and anger.
 But those are just stereotypes
See, in my world, maybe like yours,
Are zillions of great black fathers
Black fathers who are my
Ex-husbands
Brothers
Family
Beaus
Friends
Neighbors
Colleagues
All standing high –
And ... Almost ...
Parallel to the most beloved black male father in my world
My dad!
 
Yup, couldn't ask for a better example of all that his children needed to become strong, Successful, resilient, practical and contributing.
Nothing exceptional to this – just what is.
 
So, on behalf of all the black fathers
Who continue to get the same tired bum rap
Ya'll need to change your circle of influence, folks – change it up!
Cause these black fathers got it like that!
And for those that don't know... you better ask someone 'bout these black fathers.
 
Rexford Gilbert Steptoe, Jr.
Philip Anthony
Adam B.
Delaware B.
Jerome R.
John R.
Jacinto R.
Leonard C.
Stanley L.
Oswald L.
Alphonso L.
Locksley M.
Bobby B.
Claster W.
Grayling W.
Dante H.
Dion P.
George S.
Tony S.
Joelle's dad
BJ's husband
Cenetia's husband & dad
Pastor Elijah S.
Deacon Lance
Deacon Steve
Darrell R.
Ameen/Steve B.
Troy I.
Gregg B.
Clayton R.
Herb S.
Bernard J.
Rudy- neighbor
Dave -neighbor
Leonard L.
Cyril C.
Dr. Pendergrast.
Mr. Woodfolk
Dr. Watson
Mr. Wood
Mr. Culler
Mr. Knight
Mr. Wilson
Erin W. - neighbor
Mason's dad
Obi's dad
Taylor's dad
Deacon Kevin
THIS LIST CONTINUES ON THE NEXT 500 PAGES....
Add your own black fathers - and these lies will stop.
 
moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the District's transportation future and increase transportation choices for all.
Visit http://www.wemovedc.org/ for more information.
 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
To Post a message, send it to:   ward5@eGroups.com
To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: ward5-unsubscribe@eGroups.com
.

__,_._,___



--
R. Ramson
3744 12th Street, N.E.,
Washington D.C., 20017
202-438-5988

"We must become the change we want to see" - Mohandas Gandhi-
(Together, for a Brighter Tomorrow)




 

--
--
WardFive@googlegroups.com is open to WardFive residents for community discussion and information sharing.
 
To post to this group, send email to wardfive@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wardfive?hl=en
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WardFive" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment