Wednesday 26 December 2012

Re: [WardFive] Seven Principles.

Friends and Neighbors of Ward 5
 
In reading Rob's email here this morning, I, once more sense an opportunity here on the day after Christmas and  ...on the first day of Kwanzaa and it could start right here in Ward 5!  Indeed, the first small steps have already been taken.  I don't expect everyone to agree and some may even take offense.  so be it.
 
By and large there is scant dialog between races on issues of substance.  It is likely that some of this is due to bilateral racisim.  It is, what it is ...There are many people of  courage who will agree, as  Integrity and honor know no skin color.  Still, in my opinion, most of the silence on  this issue comes from personal concerns about semantics and language.  The language of this racial dialog is subtle.  From the white perspective, I believe it comes from fear of being misunderstood as the politics of correctness can be confusing to many.  I'm not taking sides here.  I'm trying to free up some space for dialog.  
 
It seems to me that if we start out with a policy statement like:  
 
From the White Perspective:
 
" I recognize and accept that the enslavement of Africans in America was a crime against humanity.  Modern racism is an anathema to society and blights us as a nation.  I had no part in the slavery, I denounce it totally and I recognize that racism in all it's colors and shades is wrong and I denounce it absolutely."
 
AND from the Black Perspective:
 
" I agree.  I understand and accept your recognition that , slavery is the great shame of America.  I also realize that you denounce it and all the evils of racism that have followed in it's wake.  Still, as we work towards a common ground, you must realize that the wounds we have suffered still burn my soul, we, together must be very careful and take great pains to clarify what we mean as many words give offense where none was intended. "
 
We need to confront this evil head on, as Americans, as men and women of honor and integrity.  Time has given us this opportunity.  People on both sides of the color line have made great strides forward.   We need to affirm our humanity for if we cannot solve the pervasive social pandemic of racism, it will hold us back as a nation, as a people and as men and women from planet earth.
 
Jerry in Reflection
----- Original message -----
From: Rob <indianrob@gmail.com>
Subject: [WardFive] Seven Principles.
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 11:05:04 -0500
 
Good Morning Ward 5,
 
Here are two links that I thought might be of interest. 
 
Today is Day 1. 
 
 
Just a sentence that caught my attention. 


Rob Ramson
3744 12th Street, N.E.,
Washington D.C., 20017
202-438-5988

"We must become the change we want to see" - Mohandas Gandhi-
(Together, for a Brighter Tomorrow)




 
 

 

--
WardFive@googlegroups">WardFive@googlegroups.com is open to WardFive residents for community discussion and information sharing.
 
To post to this group, send email to wardfive@googlegroups">wardfive@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups">wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wardfive?hl=en
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment