Thursday 27 December 2012

[WardFive] 2012 Christmas Letter

December 25, 2012



Dear family and friends,



This morning I had my family was over for brunch. We had a great time. I am
tired but needed to write my letter.



2012 has been good. On March 19th I turn 70 years old. I made a
commitment to myself that 2012 was to be about me registering voters and
helping to get President Obama re-elected. I am proud of working with DC
Chapter of NAACP, Social Action Committee of The Federal City Chapter of
Delta Sigma Theta Deltas, Reid Temple AME North (my church), and DC,
Metropolitan and National Federation of Democratic Women and others to help
to get out the vote. I went to Virginia at least twice a week in September
and October to do phone banking and door to door canvassing. I also did two
weekends in Norfolk and the Hampton Roads area. I participated and
co-chaired fund raisers for the President. I worked so hard for President
Obama that I almost lose my ANC Commission seat.




IMG_3573



In July went to the NAACP National Convention in Houston, TX and visited
San Antonio with a friend and we walked the 5 mile River Front around 7am
one morning.



In August I help coordinate our 40th Family Reunion in Roanoke, VA.



In September attended the Democratic Convention in Charlotte, NC with four
friends.



In November elected ANC Commissioner 5B01 and appointed Asst Treasurer and
Membership Chair DC NAACP.

My activities include Parliamentarian for the Cameo Club (Ms Senior DC
Pageants), Treasurer for Black Professional in International Affairs
(BPIA), ANC Commissioner for 5A09, Treasurer of ANC 5A, President of US
Africa Sister Cities, Chair of DC-Dakar, President of Concern Citizens of
20th Street, Membership Chair of DC NAACP, Vice President of the Sartwell
Group of National Association of Parliamentarians, and Volunteer Chair for
The Study of African American History, (ASALH) Black History Annual
Luncheon (Carver G. Woodson).



I am still active with the Social Action Committee of Delta Sigma Theta,
Cardozo High School Classes of 59, 60 & 61 Annual Cook Out, the neighborhood
Block Party, Usher and Class Leader at Reid Temple AME and working on the
Delta Dears committee for our Centennial.



I am so pleased to say that my family is really doing well. My son-in law's
health is better and he has a job, my grandsons are working and my
granddaughter is still on the Honor Roll and Debate Team. A picture of my
great granddaughter:




Shirley's family004





We changed plans for 2013 from Cape Verde to touring Senegal in late fall.
If you are interested contact me so I can put you on the mailing list.



MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY KWANZAA AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!



You are receiving this letter because I love you.



Peace and
Love,



2 (2)




Shirley









ANC Commissioner 5A09

Shirley Rivens Smith, President

US Africa Sister Cities Foundation, Inc.

DC-Dakar

2000 Upshur St., NE

Washington, DC 20018

www.usasc.org

202-635-3138



--
WardFive@googlegroups.com is open to WardFive residents for community discussion and information sharing.

To post to this group, send email to wardfive@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wardfive?hl=en

0 comments:

Post a Comment