Monday 29 April 2013

Re: cheat_training_group It's Team Time again!

Dear LAKS Cheat Training Instructors and fellow participants,

I'm not sure if I will race this weekend or not, but I wanted to take a moment to deeply thank Tom, Ashley, Kenny, Hank, Dave, John M., Sandrine, Dr. Jenn, Patrick, Todd and all the other the LAKS instructors (as well as any other instructors & experienced volunteers, whom I might not have acknowledged above, by name (you know who you are). 

You folks were so helpful, in making the Cheat Training and magical success, by motivating (pushing us), while remaining safety conscious, and patiently giving us technical tips/hints to improve our technique and kayaking experience> Many thanks to all the other Cheat participants for all of the mutual support, great times and experiences.

The Cheat Training, has evolved into a really amazing group, I feel that we are all really privileged and blessed to be a part of this, annual event. No one else really knows what a special experience Cheat Training is but those of us who do it, but it seems to get better and better. I know I came into this season less paddle fit, than last year, but benefitted a great deal and I'm very thankful for everyone's patience and support.

Although we didn't get to run the Cheat as often as we have in past years, due to high water, I thought the other runs we did were most educational and fun. 

I did swim a few times, and faced some challenges, but now have renewed confidence in my combat roll, as the summer season arrives. The support this group showed was invaluable to me and I'm sure the other participants "Cheaters". 

I also want to give a shout out to the "YOUTS", who are a real driven inspiration and joy for all of us to paddle with, travel and talk with, you are a great bunch of young people. Your youthful curiosity, willingness to push yourselves, technical curiosity,l vitality and drive has made the Cheat Training an even more complete experience!! Or course, besides your own determination to improve your paddling skills, your "LAKS mentors" should be commended for doing a great job in supporting you to do your level best and more in your pursuits. 

I think we should all encourage people in Junior High and High School in the area to paddle with LAKS, it's a great way to grow the kayaking community with a great sense of quality assurance. "The YOUTS" great a great example of why it's a great idea to get more younger people involved!! 

Tom, thanks for your leadership, drive and everything else (in addition, to lending me your Tornado). I can't thank you enough for your tireless support. 

Paddling with LAKS and other groups has allowed me to recover from a severe accident and rehabilitation and enjoy the Mid Atlantic Region from a new perspective. I want to encourage all of the Cheat Training participants to support Team River Runner (TRR) in any way you can, there's no substitute for healing whatever might ail you, and get stronger and more confident through paddling with such a great group of people.

I feel blessed to be part of this group, once again, it's an amazing gift to able to participate!!

Many thanks, again to everyone!!!

With peace and light,
 
Jonathan Stevens
Email:jonathanstevens@alum.mit.edu
US Mobile Phone: +1 (202) 415 9437


0 comments:

Post a Comment