Friday 17 April 2015

RE: cheat_training_group Rolling problems? Make a new plan, Stan!

Great advice!

I will try to put it to work when...inevitably, the time comes!

Kind Regards,

Jim


"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace."  John 16:33



Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:29:49 -0700
From: munnell13@gmail.com
To: upper_yough_training_group@googlegroups.com
Subject: cheat_training_group Rolling problems? Make a new plan, Stan!


So, what is your plan when you miss a roll?

I wore contacts when I first started paddling, so I don't normally open my eyes when I flip. This leaves me alone in the darkness with my very active imagination. Sticky holes, rocks and sea monsters all come rushing to greet me in these moments. I realized that I needed a plan to focus my brain in these moments, key steps on the path to breathing air again.

My plan starts with a simple rule --- get to three. If you miss your first roll, your second roll is often a little "rushed"...that's a gentle description of panic! :-) This can lead to a miss on the second roll. Many people bail out here. So get to #3. Cuss yourself out for a moment. Sorry, I mean ---  compose yourself, get properly set up, and nail this roll.

Implementing this rule will do two things for you. First, my results on roll #3 tend to be good, because I've really focused myself on the fundamentals. Second, getting to #3 demonstrates that you can hang out for longer than you think. So even if #3 doesn't work, you can carp a little air and go on to 4, 5 or 6. But I'll bet you won't need to.

But let's take this a step farther. My plan says if my first roll fails, switch sides for #2. Maybe the water is coming from the wrong side, making the roll more difficult. Switching sides will now let the water help you ---even weak offside rolls work if the water helps. Maybe you are stuck in a seam or hole of some sort. Switching sides underwater tends to turn the boat, which may break you out for an easy roll. Since I'm not looking and not one of those instinctive paddlers, this switching sides strategy helps me feel the water and make a better decision about my roll. Rinse and repeat until you are up again.

Of course, sometimes it's hard to execute the plan. I swam just a couple of weeks ago. It was not a particularly difficult or dangerous situation. But it was a situation that I hadn't really thought about or practiced. Upside down in a river is not a conducive spot for analysis and reflection. :-)  Once the "This is bad" light went off in my head, the plan went out the window. I have since realized that there were 4 different actions that I might have taken before swimming --- and I'll be practicing that new plan in local waters soon.

Short version...you wouldn't be in Cheat training if you couldn't roll. If you have a swim, it's not because you don't know how to roll. Focus is the key. And a plan for when you miss a roll will help you focus that active imagination on the right things.

So get some new keys, Lee/Leigh --- and set yourself free!

See ya out there...
JOHN



--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Cheat Spring Training Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to
cheat_training_group@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cheat_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cheat_training_group?hl=en?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LAKS advanced" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to upper_yough_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment