Thursday 27 September 2012

[WardFive] Fw: Today! Today! Today! We Walk by Faith, Not by Sight Community Newsletter September 27, 2012

Parting Words of Wisdom from Beloved Faye Williams, Sisterspace and Books!
 
Albrette "Gigi" Ransom
_____________________________________
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Sisterspace and Books <sisterspace1515@yahoo.com>
To: gigifor5c12@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:43 PM
Subject: Today! Today! Today! We Walk by Faith, Not by Sight Community Newsletter September 27, 2012
Sisterspace and Books 
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=18983137&msgid=359625&act=YVJM&c=184425&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sisterspacedc.com%2F
202-829-9612
  We Walk by Faith, Not by Sight Community Newsletter   
September 27, 2012 
 
 
Peace and Love.Peace and Love.Peace and Love and hairgrease!!!
 
Ok, I'm still here.The past three days, I got some e-mails and a few calls from folks. Political calls, personal calls, painful calls. Interesting calls, however they all made me realize the importance of havinga space like Sisterspace and Books. Where do people go to cry, to shout, to praise, to criticize, to organize and to make friendships? A few of the calls and e-mails:
 
1-Calls and e-mails from folks who hated me and the bookstore,for many reasons. Please forgive me. I forgive you. Calls and e-mails from folks who understood me,supported the store and me and participate in and praised the work we did.
 
2-Researchers who want Sisterspace and Books archives, letters, photos and other stuff. It makes me happy to think that they would like to have Sisterspace stuff, however, ourherstory is priceless and needs to be placed where it will be acceptable to all, including feminist researchers.
 
3-Brothers, progressive men supported Sisterspace and Books. No discrimination with our customers and supporters and friends. Brothers offered suggestions for the store, made purchases, gave us constructive criticism and became family members. We sponsored, presented and organized men authors, artists and activists. The August Calendar Club will sell Keith Boykin new book, later today at Plymouth Church.
 
4-Again,I appreciate all of the support and the constructive criticisms. Along the way, we learned and we taught ourselves and others. Please forgive me,forgive the store, for whatever trespasses we made. I am looking forward to my next journey...
 
5-Come to my church later today. Have some dinner (6:00pm) and get some Jazz(7:00pm).Plymouth Congregational Church-UCC
5301 North Capitol Street N.W. DC- 202-723-5330.
 
Peace,love and hairgrease,
Faye
 
 
A Facebook Message from Sister Dr. Julianne Malveaux
 
As I walk back from an appointment today, I realize how much I will miss Faye Williams and Sisterspace and Books, a real gathering place, community center, and promotional space for authors. It was also a place for advocacy and Faye has been a tireless advocate for African American people and for African American women, especially. Gentrification and landlord chicanery forced her out of a great
space on U Street, then she moved Sisterspace to a less traveled space on Georgia Avenue. Now she is headed back to Florida to be with family and to restore herself. All of us who believe in freedom need to support these independent bookstores who give us the knowledge that Barnes and Noble or Amazon will not. And we need to lift up sisters like Faye who loves Black folks sometimes more than we love ourselves. Have you been to Sisterspace? Do you support independent bookstores? Please send this phenomenal sister a message of love, light and encouragement at sisterspace1515@yahoo.com or cal (202) 829-9612.
 
Thank you
 
 
 
Free D.C.
 
 
Yes! Yes! Yes! I will leave the D.C.Colony on September 30th. The past week was inspiring and a great success.I want to say thank you to the volunteers,my friends,my family members,my authors,my church- folks,DC activists and  community folks for the hugs,smiles and purchases of Keith Boykin's new book.
 
Peace and love to all of you. If you need to reach me,leave your number.
 
 
 
 
 
 
This message was sent to gigifor5c12@yahoo.com from:
Sisterspace and Books | 3717 Georgia Avenue N.W. | Washington, DC 20010
Email Marketing by iContact - Try It Free!
Manage Your Subscription  |  Send To a Friend

0 comments:

Post a Comment