Monday 28 April 2014

[WardFive] Fwd: Fwd: I THINK YOU'LL WANT TO PASS THIS ONE ON

Hello everyone,

If only folks can remember what those who came before us have done for all of us and the freedoms that we often take for granted.

Rob Ramson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Norman Kurland <thirdway@cesj.org>
Date: Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Subject: Fwd: Fwd: I THINK YOU'LL WANT TO PASS THIS ONE ON
To:





-------- Original Message --------
Delivered-To: thirdway@cesj.org
Received: by 10.217.11.73 with SMTP id h51csp74839wet; Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:29:22 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.66.124.163 with SMTP id mj3mr22771478pab.38.1398655760873; Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <baldhj@shaw.ca>
Received: from smtp-out-02.shaw.ca (smtp-out-02.shaw.ca. [64.59.136.138]) by mx.google.com with ESMTP id tv5si9472467pbc.115.2014.04.27.20.29.18 for <thirdway@cesj.org>; Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of baldhj@shaw.ca designates 64.59.136.138 as permitted sender) client-ip=64.59.136.138;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of baldhj@shaw.ca designates 64.59.136.138 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=baldhj@shaw.ca
Received: from unknown (HELO [192.168.0.100]) ([70.65.29.174]) by smtp-out-02.shaw.ca with ESMTP/TLS/DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA; 27 Apr 2014 21:29:06 -0600
Message-ID: <535DCB11.7040903@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 21:29:21 -0600
From: Herb Baldwin <baldhj@shaw.ca>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.4.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: KCollier@shaw.ca
Subject: Fwd: I THINK YOU'LL WANT TO PASS THIS ONE ON
References: <5C42987090814926989CA2F3357B9C6C@WillemHP>
In-Reply-To: <5C42987090814926989CA2F3357B9C6C@WillemHP>
X-Forwarded-Message-Id: <5C42987090814926989CA2F3357B9C6C@WillemHP>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="------------050600000808000901090801"





-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I THINK YOU'LL WANT TO PASS THIS ONE ON
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:24:13 -0600
From: Willem Hubben <willemhubben@shaw.ca>


  

 
 
 
 
Subject: I THINK YOU'LL WANT TO PASS THIS ONE ON

 

By  Capt. Steven Ellison, MD
A Military Doctor
This  should be required reading in every school and college in  our country.
This  Captain, an Army doctor, deserves a medal himself for  putting this together.
If  you choose not to pass it on, fine, but I think you will  want to, after you read it.



I  am a doctor specializing in the Emergency Departments of the  only twomilitary  Level One-Trauma Centers, both in San  Antonio , TX and they care  for civilian emergencies as well as military personnel.  San Antonio has  the largest military retiree population in the world living  here.
As  a military doctor, I work long hours and the pay is less  than glamorous.
One  tends to become jaded by the long hours, lack of sleep,  food, family contact  and the endless parade of human suffering passing before  you.
The  arrival of another ambulance does not mean more pay, only  more work.
Most  often, it is a victim from a motor vehicle  crash.


Often  it is a person of dubious character who has been shot or  stabbed.
With  our large military retiree population, it is often a nursing  home patient. Even  with my enlisted service and minimal combat experience in  Panama , I  have caught myself groaning when the ambulance brought in  yet another sick,  elderly person from one of the local retirement centers that  cater to military  retirees. I had not stopped to think of what citizens of  this age group  represented.


I  saw 'Saving Private Ryan.' I was touched deeply. Not so much  by the carnage,  but by the sacrifices of so many. I was touched most by the scene  of the elderly survivor at the graveside, asking his wife if  he'd been  a good man. I realized that I had seen these same men and  women coming  through my Emergency Dept. and had not realized what magnificent  sacrifices they had made. The things they did for me and everyone  else that has lived on this planet since the end of that  conflict are priceless.


Situation  permitting, I now try to ask my patients about their  experiences.
They  would never bring up the subject without my inquiry. I have  been privileged  to hear an amazing array of experiences, recounted in the  brief minutes  allowed in an Emergency Dept. encounter. These experiences have  revealed the incredible individuals I have had the honor of  serving in  a medical capacity, many on their last admission to the  hospital.


There  was a frail, elderly woman who reassured my young enlisted  medic, trying  to start an IV line in her arm. She remained calm and  poised, despite her  illness and the multiple needle-sticks into her fragile  veins. She was what we  call a 'hard stick.' As the medic made another attempt, I  noticed a number
tattooed  across her forearm. I touched it with one finger and looked  into her
 eyes.  She simply said, ' Auschwitz .' Many of later  generations would have loudly  and openly berated the young medic in his many attempts. How different  was the response from this person who'd seen unspeakable  suffering.


Also,  there was this long retired Colonel, who as a young officer  had parachuted from  his burning plane over a  PacificIsland held  by the Japanese. Now an octogenarian,  he had a minor cut on his head from a fall at his home where he  lived alone. His CT scan and suturing had been delayed until  after midnight by  the usual parade of high priority ambulance patients. Still  spry for his age, he  asked to use the phone to call a taxi, to take him home,  then he realized his ambulance  had brought him without his wallet. He asked if he could use  the phone  to make a long distance call to his daughter who lived 7  miles away.
With  great pride we told him that he could not, as he'd done  enough for his country  and the least we could do was get him a taxi home, even if  we had to pay  for it ourselves. My only regret was that my shift wouldn't  end for several hours,  and I couldn't drive him myself.


I  was there the night M/Sgt Roy  Benavidez came through the Emergency Dept. for  the last time. He was very sick. I was not the doctor taking  care of him, but I  walked to his bedside and took his hand. I said nothing. He  was so sick, he didn't  know I was there. I'd read his Congressional Medal of Honor  citation and  wanted to shake his hand. He died a few days  later.

The  gentleman who served with Merrill's  Marauders,

the  survivor of the Bataan Death  March,

the  survivor of  OmahaBeach  ,

the  101 year old World War I veteran.

The  former POW held in frozen North  Korea 

The  former Special Forces medic - now with non-operable liver  cancer

the  former Viet Nam Corps  Commander..

I  may still groan when yet another ambulance comes in, but now I  am much more aware of what an honor it is to serve these particular  men and women

I  have seen a Congress (both Canadian & USA who would turn their back on these  individuals who've  sacrificed so much to protect our liberty. I see later  generations
 that  seem to be totally engrossed in abusing these same  liberties, won with  such sacrifice.

It  has become my personal endeavor to make the nurses and young  enlisted medics  aware of these amazing individuals when I encounter them in  our Emergency  Dept. Their response to these particular citizens has made  me think  that perhaps all is not lost in the next  generation.

My  experiences have solidified my belief that we are losing an  incredible generation,  and this nation knows not what it is losing. Our uncaring  government  and ungrateful civilian populace should all take note. We should  all remember that we must 'Earn  this.'

Written  By CAPT. Steven R. Ellison, M.D. US Army
If it  weren't for the United States & Canadian  Military, there'd  be 'NO' 
United  States of America or Canada !

Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

And  now as you have finished reading this, our Congress that  enjoys their
free  medical  care are in the process of charging these people for their 
medical  care and at the same time possibly reducing their retirement  pay.
 A  typical political "Thank  you." This  should be required reading in every  school and college in our countries

. This Captain, an Army  doctor, deserves  a medal himself for putting this together.

If you choose not  to pass  it on, fine, but I think you will.

 

 

 

 

 
 







--
R. Ramson
3744 12th Street, N.E.,
Washington D.C., 20017
202-438-5988

"We must become the change we want to see" - Mohandas Gandhi-
(Together, for a Brighter Tomorrow)




 

--
--
WardFive@googlegroups.com is open to WardFive residents for community discussion and information sharing.
 
To post to this group, send email to wardfive@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wardfive?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WardFive" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wardfive+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment