Wednesday 22 May 2019

Re: cheat_training_group Upper Yough Cheat Sheet

Hey Jim, those look like all the standard lines to me, but of course there are many ways to run a rapid on the UY, which is why the river is so much fun, and has so much to teach us. Fantastic river for skills-building. 

When I was learning the UY it helped me to have a way to remember what rapid was coming up next - that helped me prepare in my mind. Otherwise, the river seems so complicated - like endless rapids - and I couldn't find my landmarks. 

Here is what I used:

GBCC - gap, bastard, charlies choice
How Many Pretty Lovely Cheeseburgers We Desire

How (heinzerling) Many (meatcleaver) Pretty (powerful popper) Lovely (lost and found, f-up falls) Cheesburgers (cheeseburger) We (Wrights Hole) Desire (double pencil sharpener)

It isn't a great mnemonic, but it worked. I pasted it to my fridge, and during the week I would run through the mnemonic and try to imagine each rapid in my head. Then, when I was on the river I would do the opposite - I would take a close look at the rapids and recall the mnemonic. 

Everyone told me it  takes about 10 runs to learn the river, and they were right. So, i'd count off the runs in my head, hoping that by the time I got to 10 runs i'd stop getting so nervous i'd be nauseous on the drive out to F'ville. It took 10 runs, but it worked. :)










On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:23 AM Jim McClave <jmwucb@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is a one-page cheat sheet for the Upper Yough rapids that I used last year.  I laminated it and taped it to the front of my boat.  I'll have a few laminated copies with me on Saturday.  See me if you want one.

Thanks,
Jim

--
laks@calleva.org
calleva.org/liquid-adventures-kayak
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LAKS advanced" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to upper_yough_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/upper_yough_training_group/CACSnhJD2XESCZo-K11POLvNdT3sHb-nLozJEhiFJS%2BO-2_kisg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
Jennifer Sass
Email: sass.jen@gmail.com

Let there be no peace without justice, no worker without rights, no child without future, no elder without care, no individual without dignity. Let us take great care of Mother Earth. (adapted from Pope Francis on the Poor and Indigenous Peoples)

--
laks@calleva.org
calleva.org/liquid-adventures-kayak
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LAKS advanced" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to upper_yough_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/upper_yough_training_group/CACxxD%2BMY1MZY8bTMrwRyh4KBr9fLLNE2m9%3DRpGwO3QUqU5ZoVw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment