Friday 24 May 2013

[WardFive] FW: Re: [Brookland] Hello Moderators

 
 From: Taylor Armstrong
Date: May 24, 2013 4:03:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Brookland] Hello Moderators
To: csteptoe@verizon.net
Cc: "Brookland@yahoogroups.com" <brookland@yahoogroups.com>, Brookland Moderator <Brookland-owner@yahoogroups.com>
 
Thank you for your response as well,

The only thing I can say is, again - *MOST* moderation, on this list and others comes as a result of people contacting the moderators to complain.  Most of us tend to do our best to be more or less "hands-off" unless we see something particularly egregious.  I can say that I, personally, in addition to this email list, moderate two others, a web forum, and two online career-orriented discussion lists.  That's a lot of email/messages to wade through every day in addition to things such as my job and my family, so it is not uncommon for the moderators to not have a chance to read every single message, or at the very least, to often be behind by a day or two on the list traffic.

I'll say, both for you, Ms. Steptoe, as well as for *any* other member of the list:  If you see messages that you feel are out of line, *PLEASE* contact the moderators and let them know.  We may have not seen the message at all, we may have skimmed over it,  we may have seen it from our cell phone and not had a good chance to respond, we may have had a 4-year old tugging on our sleeve as we read and missed something.   Bottom-oine, Brookland-owner@yahoogroups.comis the best way to bring something to our attention, but we very seldom receive any complaints about anything on the listserve.  I'll also say that much of our "moderation" on this list goes on outside of the public eye.  For myself, if I see something, I will usually email the person privately to discuss rather than chastising in public - that's just not my particular style. 

Without getting into the particulars of the Brookland's Finest argument, you have my respect for being willing to be an ANC to begin with - I appreciate that it is often a thankless job, but understand completely as you said - this mailing list is not the only way to reach the residents of your SMD, although I do consider it a significant one.

I hope you (and everyone else in and outside of Brookland) have a wonderful weekend,

Taylor Armstrong


On May 24, 2013, at 1:41 PM, csteptoe@verizon.net wrote:

 
Hello Mr. Armstrong - Thank you kindly for your email.  I do not feel singled out at all.  Instead, what I recognize is an clear disparity in moderator insertion and interjection in flaming, personal attacks & threats under the guise of constructive engagement/observations 
 
As you know, personally, I have been contending with Brookland listserv hyperbolic responses since 2003-historic designation (not 2005-typo); nude bars; school closures; citizen vote on same sex marriage; general city and community issues so, I am pretty thick-skinned regarding inflammatory, angry comments towards me from listserv posters.  Remember, I first became ANC in 2008; before then, I had 6 years of flames thrust towards me so, I'm ok (LOL!).  Unfortunately, after 10 years a a stalwart member, what has remained a constant are the unproductive viscerally toxic tirades by the brave/facetious  "Men/Women/Folks Angry At Carolyn Steptoe"  with no moderation by yourselves. 
 
What I raise relates to the indirect "moderator" temperments from recent posters hostile & angry about aduly authorized, appropriately handled 5B ANC business process and procedure; posters who,in my read at least, the moderators should have considered" flamers/personal attackers/mob mentality posts, etc."   The fact there was no concern by the moderators about the tenor of some early posts; (re-read knew2running; brooklandjohn, etc.) strikes me as moderator bias facilitating and sanctioning an agenda of irrational meanness.  Again, I have seen moderators chastise and ban others for less. 
 
Lastly, as to ANC communication, of course, yes, as the elected representative for 5B04, I am a hands-on commissioner, very proactive, visible commission  who goes door-to-door, pole-to-pole and house-to house in my community; such will not change.   However, it is completely useless & counterproductive to our constituency that my membership on this listserv remain; my 5B04 community will continue to receive relevant information from their ANC.  Thank you and enjoy the holiday weekend.
 
  
Very kind regards,

Commissioner Carolyn C. Steptoe
Single Member District 5B04Vice Chairperson, Advisory Neighborhood Commission 5B
GOVERNMENT OF THE DISTRICT OF THE COLUMBIA
(202) 636-8191
 5B04@anc.dc.gov
(pardon typos, etc.)


"In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive."'

- Acts 20:35
 
On 05/24/13, Taylor Armstrong<taylor.armstrong@gmail.com> wrote:
 
Ms. Steptoe,

In the past 10 years, only a very small number (approximately 5) have been "banned" from this listserve, and all for very egregious reasons that go far beyond what we've seen in the past week or so here.  Those cases generally involved repeated hostile attacks on neighbors or other individuals, constant use of vulgar language, and honestly, overwhelming complaints from other members of the listserve sent to the moderator's email address (Brookland-owner@yahoogroups.com).  I have not see anything approach that level in this discussion.

I *am* sorry that you feel singled out, but I would like to simply make 2 points:  1st, as unfortunate as it may be, public officials and elected representatives come under far more scrutiny than private citizens.  I understand that your position is an unpaid, essentially volunteer role, but the fact remains that it places you in a position where large numbers of people will either agree or disagree with your positions - it simply comes with the territory.  2nd, the moderators of this mailing list are likewise volunteers, doing hteir best to keep up with and read all of the messages, but if anyone has a complaint, it should be sent to the moderator's email address (again: Brookland-owner@yahoogroups.com) so that it is not lost in the shuffle of messages on the mailing list.  I can attest to the fact that we have not received a single complaint within the past month.  Without specific complaints to act upon, we basically do our best to steer conversations back towards more productive discussions where we feel necessary, and attempt to block SPAM and limit overly commercial posts as possible.

I would honestly encourage you to reconsider leaving the list.  It may not always be pleasant reading, but there are approximately 3,000 members of the list who live within the general boundaries of your SMD, and keeping in touch with their concerns seems an important part of the ANC role.  

If you would like to leave the list, I'd suggest doing so via the http://groups.yahoo.com portal, as it is the simplest way to manage your group membership.

thank you,
Taylor Armstrong
(Moderator)


On May 24, 2013, at 6:15 AM, carolynsteptoe csteptoe@verizon.net> wrote:

 

After reading all these inflamed, hostile & angry posts resulting about duly authorized & appropriate ANC 5B business, I am puzzled that you would let these go unchecked. Many posters are largely the same "Men Angry at Carolyn Steptoe/MAACS" (LOL!) that have posted the same tenor of outrageous, hostile flamers for years (since 2005) - without moderator interjection. Others have been banned for less so, why the sanctioned (albeit selective??) perpetuation?

You may now officially "unsubscribe" me from this listserv, effective immediately.

Thank you!

Very kind regards

Commissioner Carolyn C. Steptoe
5B04@anc.dc.gov
(202) 636-8191
(pardon typos, etc.)

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Brookland Rocks !!!!
.

__,_._,___



 

Play DC is an ambitious program to renovate 32 District play spaces across the city and improve your quality of life.
Click here for more information on this  DPR and DGS-driven initiative.

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment