Sunday 25 November 2012

[WardFive] Scammer Alert: Best Buy: Tele#703-574-2782

It's the holiday season.  Those who have evil intentions are at full force looking for victims to prey upon.
 
This afternoon, Sun, 11/25/12 about $:40pm, I received a call from someone saying they were from Direct Buy (703-574-2782), and that I had won $15,000.00 to be used towards home remodeling.  I never entered any such contest and became suspicious.  The caller had a Chinese or Asian born accent.  I could hear someone coaching her also with the Asian accent, along with others speaking in the background which lead me to believe this was some type of "boiler call center room."  I asked again how did I win a contest that I didn't enter?  She asked was my last name Ransom, which I know appears as my caller ID. I did not respond. I heard the other woman talk to her, and she just repeated that I won. I told her to take my name off there list, that I was on the Do Not Call Registry, and hung up.
 
When I called the number back, the message was that I could not be connected and this was a Sykpe number. I searched for Direct Buy on the Internet.  3 Metro DC locations came up: in Lanham MD, Woodbridge VA and Columbia MD.  None have this 703-574-2782#. I could not find a direct dial tele# to contact them. I did another search just for the tele#, and found some complaints.  I reported this call to the FTC in hopes that this fraud could be stopped before someone's money is taken. I did not give any personal information which I hope they did not already have and were just trying to confirm to use illegally.
 
Please share this information, especially to our senior citizens who really need to be protected from this type of scam.
 
Albrette "Gigi" Ransom
Commissioner, ANC 5C12

0 comments:

Post a Comment