Friday 29 March 2013

Re: cheat_training_group Kit Fit? (2013 remix)

so... looks like we've changed plans and are going down the the Zambezi instead... thanks for the heads-up. -t


From: JohnM <munnell13@gmail.com>
To: upper_yough_training_group@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:42 AM
Subject: cheat_training_group Kit Fit? (2013 remix)

Hi, Fellow Cheaters -

While we are busy getting ourselves ready for a new season of paddling, what about our "kit", as the Brits say?

I was reminded of this as I floated up on the Carderock take-out in the dark last year. I keep a small dive flashlight in my PFD for just these occasions, but it performed quite erratically. Fortunately, a new set of batteries solved that problem. But what about the rest of my gear?

So, here's a list of a few things I need to check:

Float bags - Which of my boats still have them...and do they still hold air? (For those of you headed to the Cheat with us, please check yours! ;-)

Rope(s) -  They tend to stay wet and dirty, which can damage them.  I go out in my driveway and do a few throws and recoils. Gives me a chance to check the rope --- and get some skills practice, which we all need. (You do carry a rope, right? But when did you have it out last?)

First aid kit - Hmmm, had to use some bandages, Vitamin "I", and my space blanket last year. Did I ever replace them? Time to check to be certain that it is in good condition and properly stocked. And I keep fire-starter stuff with my kit, both a flint and a plain old Bic lighter. ( A little bag of dryer lint is a great firestarter...though you will worry about your dryer from now on. ;-)  And Karpenter Kenny is great at reattaching body parts with a little Super Glue --- seriously.

Breakdown paddle - Mine never seems to be in the boat I'm paddling that day. These paddles also can be damaged in the back of the boat, so check to be certain that they still go together properly.
Duct tape --- Yes, really. Torn skirts, missing drain plugs and even blister protection...a bit of duct tape can be a blessing. A sticky ugly blessing, perhaps, but still wonderful when you need it. I usually keep a little rolled around the shaft of my paddle and around a water bottle. But it needs to be replaced about once a year.
 

So there are some other things, but these are the basics for most of us. And I need to check the obvious things, like helmet straps, the rescue belt on my PFD, and maybe that almost-a-hole on my skirt. Where did my whistle go? :-) Maybe most important of all,  I need to replace the string on my drain plug --- nothing worse than losing one in the middle of a long run.

So what about you...is your kit fit?

JOHN

P.S. David Ritchie posted his list last year in response and it's great!

From David:

Container - I have two kits actually, my essentials kit is kept in a clear Nalgene type bottle that fits easily in smaller boats and is light for long carries. Jenny and Travis also carry these in case one kit is lost. You can pick them up at Target for $5 and you'll be surprise at how much you can fit. My full kit is kept in a medium sized Pelican box normally used for video cameras.

Essentials:
- Multiple sizes and types of Bandaids (butterfly's get used a lot)
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Small Vial of Iodine (both for first aid and water treatment)
- Meds (Motrin, Tylenol, Imodium AD, Zyrtec (allergy), Benadryl, Tums, Tylenol Cold/Flu, various "heavy painkillers" and Muscle Relaxants)
- Jolly Rancher (Helps with psychosomatic shock)
- Latex Gloves
- Super Glue (Get the tiny one-use dispensers)
- Duck Tape (Wrap tape around toothpick until it looks like a AA battery and also keep in your PFD)
- 2 Mini-Bic Lighters (stored in separate baggies)
- 1 pack paper matches (Bics do not always work at elevation and can lose their gas)
- Firestarter (Tractor Supply sells the best. 16 to a box for around $2, last for 15 minutes, great for wet firewood)
- Parachute Cord (For splints and a million other uses)
- Micro Multi-Tool
- Mini-LED Light
-
Goodies:
- 6' Dental Floss
- 3 fishhooks
- Needle (for splinters and ghetto stitches)
- Short Length of straw (ghetto tracheotomy)
- Emergency Space Blanket
- Instant Ice Pack
- mini Power Bar
- Small bottle of 99% Deet (You'll always be popular at the takeout)
- Small bottle of Sun Screen
- Small bottle of Hand Sanitizer (Burns well and great for "kayaker's shower"...)
- Shot bottle of Whiskey and/or 99 Bananas (Burns well ... going down)
- Mini fine-tip Sharpy and/or Pencil
- Spare Drain Plug
- Spare Nose Plugs (Bling preferred of course)
- Anti-Sting Pen or Gel Pack


--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Cheat Spring Training Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to
cheat_training_group@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cheat_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cheat_training_group?hl=en?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LAKS advanced" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to upper_yough_training_group+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment